SOMArts empowers artists and the multifaceted communities of San Francisco by supporting and producing work that is culturally engaged, deeply social and political and thrillingly experimental. It connects over 2,000 organizations and individuals each year to activate public space citywide and to organize community-building exhibitions, classes, performances and events for over 30,000 at the South of Market Cultural Center.
Exhibitions & Events
- The Asian Pacific Islander Cultural Center presents Betweenscapes, May 3–24, 2018
- Jess Wu in The Ramp Gallery, April 24–May 29
- Queer Cultural Center presents A History of Violence, June 7–28, 2018
- Calling All Performers: Apply for La Pocha Nostra performance workshop, July 25–August 4
- But Tell Me What it Feels Like, Performance Festival May 4–6
- SOMArts releases first-ever Annual Report
Our versatile space—including 3 classrooms, a 99-seat theater, exhibition space and capacity up to 1,000—is available to rent for theatrical productions, benefits, social and cultural events. Prioritizing support for arts nonprofits and social justice movements, SOMArts' Affordable Space program provides below-market rate rentals to over 100 events every year. SOMArts also offers fiscal sponsorship and free professional development to emerging artists.
Whether you can offer a one time or recurring gift, or share your time and skills by volunteering, you can have a lasting impact on the people and programs who come together to create this valuable community resource. Get involved and ensure that SOMArts continues as a vital home for art, cultural learning and connectivity.