Last year, more than 500 arts allies helped Arts for a Better Bay Area, fiscally sponsored by SOMArts, secure a $7m increase for the arts. Their first public meeting of this year is to be on Monday, April 11, 6-8pm, and will include:
• Updates on advocacy and policy education opportunities
• A brief overview of what the committees have been up to
• A discussion on what is going on in the field, with a focus on San Francisco’s arts investments in 2016-17 and the municipal budget
• An Arts Budget Priorities break-out to identify what still needs support
• Time to socialize and build your network
Feel free to bring advocacy-focused materials to share.
Arts for a Better Bay Area is a coalition of people and organizations coming together to create a member powered network, cultivate a healthy & accessible environment for arts and culture to thrive, and to inform & mobilize individuals, organizations and coalitions on policies connected to a rapidly changing region.
Arts for a Better Bay Area’s Open Meeting is presented at SOMArts through participation in the Affordable Space Program, which provides below-market rental space, production and publicity assistance to nonprofit organizations, individual artists and other events and classes that meet our mission. For more information visit our rentals page.
The mission of SOMArts is to cultivate access to the arts within the Bay Area by collaborating with community-focused artists and organizations, and to engage the power of the arts to provoke just and fair inclusion, cultural respect, and civic participation. To find out about SOMArts classes, events and exhibitions, click here.
Image credit: The News, March 2016. Photo by Anu Damle.