Job Title: Building Manager
Reports to: Director of Facilities and Technical Operations
Hours and Location: Variable based on institutional need. Generally 1–4 shifts of 4–8 hours per week. SOMArts Cultural Center is located at 934 Brannan St. in San Francisco.
SOMArts Cultural Center seeks a trustworthy, dependable and personable Building Manager to ensure the safety and security of SOMArts’ facility during rental events, public events, and gallery hours, and to greet and orient visitors as they arrive. This part-time role works closely with facilities staff to ensure that all events are executed safely and SOMArts’ diverse visitors and clients have a positive experience.
The Building Manager is supervised by the Director of Facilities and Technical Operations. Availability to work nights and some weekends is required.
Building Maintenance & Security (50%)
- Monitor all facility spaces indoors and outdoors, including walkthroughs every hour when not assisting a client.
- Monitor and record attendance of classes, exhibitions and events. Complete building manager report at the end of each shift.
- Comply with safety procedures and work rules and bring any unsafe conditions to the attention of the Director of Technical Operations.
- Report maintenance and repair issues to the Director of Facilities and Technical Operations.
- Follow proper opening and closing procedures and when closing ensure that all offices, storage areas, exterior gates and doors are locked and that the building’s alarm is set.
- Report incidents as they occur following SOMArts incident reporting protocol.
- Address misuse of space if they occur (e.g. violation of SOMArts regulations, culturally insensitive behavior).
- Follow proper emergency protocol. In the event of an emergency observe and enforce protocol towards ensuring the safety of others on-site.
- Interface with law enforcement, emergency personnel, city personnel as needed in the event of emergency, event inspection, etc.
Event Assistance & Hospitality (50%)
- Provide excellent customer service to SOMArts’ diverse community members, fostering a culture of respect and inclusion at all SOMArts events.
- When staffing the front desk, contribute to a welcoming environment by greeting visitors and answering questions.
- Assist in the success of SOMArts’ events and events hosted in our space by rental clients by:
—-Directing inquiries to the appropriate SOMArts staff member.
—-Supporting the use of SOMArts’ equipment, electrical needs and technical requirements, and access to doors and rooms.
—-Assisting with rental clients’ load in, install and load out in accordance with the guidelines of their contract, making the contract available to clients as a reference.
- Basic supervision and usage of A/V systems.
- Basic supervision of electrical safety.
- Clean and restock restrooms and attend to functionality issues as needed during normal business hours. Supervise monitoring of restrooms and recycling during events and pitch in when needed.
- At the end of each closing shift, empty all open trash, recycling and compost bins into the appropriate dumpster and replace bin liners.
- Coordinate rental client check-out of loaned items including tools, electrical equipment, tables, chairs, carts, ladders, soft goods, etc.
- Record all loaned items in the event binder and check them in at the end of each event. Report missing items to the client and to the Director of Facilities and Technical Operations.
- Supervise and instruct event security based on guidelines provided by Director of Facilities and Technical Operations.
- Required to stand, walk, and sit.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
- Must be able to lift, move and carry up to 50lbs.
Please send your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please no phone calls.
Organizational Overview: SOMArts plays a vital role in the arts ecosystem by helping activate the arts citywide. We do this by providing space and production support for non-profit events, as well as fairs and festivals throughout the Bay Area, and offering a robust program of art exhibitions, classes, events and performances that are affordable and accessible to all.
SOMArts is beloved in San Francisco as a cross-cultural, community-built space where cutting-edge events and counterculture commingle with traditional art forms in a way that is open, engaging and inspiring. It is an incubator for ideas that lie outside the mainstream of contemporary art funding and consumption.
The South of Market Cultural Center is a 26,190 sq ft cultural center with two large performance/exhibition spaces, a flexible theater, a media lab, photography, ceramics and printmaking studios used on a weekly basis by professional artists, and four administrative offices.
Please visit our website: www.somarts.org
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SOMArts fosters a creative and professional environment that reflects the diversity of San Francisco. We actively recruit a wide pool of applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.