SOMArts Cultural Center seeks a creative and detail-oriented Communications Intern to support the development and execution of a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy for the organization.
The Communications Intern is supervised by the Director of Communications & Strategy and will work closely with SOMArts’ staff and visiting artists to create original content for SOMArts’ communications, including digital and print materials.
As a result of this internship, the SOMArts Communications Intern will:
- Articulate the elements of a comprehensive communications strategy;
- Develop creative and engaging content for digital and print communications;
- Draft effective press releases and target pitches to specific media outlets.
Internship projects may include:
- Support the creation of sharable content, from photography and video documentation to blog posts and artist interviews in conjunction with SOMArts’ exhibitions
- Devise and implement creative audience engagement campaigns for social media platforms such as
Facebook & Twitter
- Create community calendar listings, complete outreach related research assignments, or
perform other light administrative duties
- Interview and survey exhibiting artists and gallery visitors about their work and experiences
- Keen interest in marketing and communications, particularly as it relates to the arts and culture and/or social change
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with diverse staff and stakeholders to solve problems and innovate creative solutions
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- A commitment to the arts and culture
- Excels at operating in a fast paced, community environment
- Experience and competency with Word, Google Docs, Excel necessary; familiarity with Dropbox, Asana, WordPress and Salesforce a plus
- Technology savvy with experience in digital marketing
- Part-time, 8–10 hours per week
- Professional development opportunities
- A supportive, team-based environment
- A chance to gain experience working in the arts with talented, mission driven, passionate professionals
Please send your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please no phone calls.
Organizational Overview: SOMArts plays a vital role in the arts ecosystem by helping activate the arts citywide. We do this by providing space and production support for non-profit events, as well as fairs and festivals throughout the Bay Area, and offering a robust program of art exhibitions, classes, events and performances that are affordable and accessible to all.
SOMArts is beloved in San Francisco as a cross-cultural, community-built space where cutting-edge events and counterculture commingle with traditional art forms in a way that is open, engaging and inspiring. It is an incubator for ideas that lie outside the mainstream of contemporary art funding and consumption.
The South of Market Cultural Center is a 26,190 sq ft cultural center with two large performance/exhibition spaces, a flexible theater, a media lab, photography, ceramics and printmaking studios used on a weekly basis by professional artists, and four administrative offices.
SOMArts values diversity. SOMArts is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, class, sex, creed, ethnicity, race, national origin, physical or mental ability, sexual orientation, gender expression, and veteran status.
Please visit our website: www.somarts.org