SOMArts Curatorial Residency is a unique opportunity for emerging curators and artists to gain mentorship and production assistance to execute a large scale exhibition in our 31,000 square foot gallery. Three residencies are awarded each season and are designed to support emerging and mid-career curators as well as artists exploring new and challenging ideas.
Curators selected receive a $5000 project grant, 9 months of access and support from SOMArts’ experienced staff and a 4 week exhibition in SOMArts’ Main Gallery.
SOMArts also offers:
– Installation support
– Technical & event production support
– Community engagement & public relations support
– Monthly workshops (April–August)
SOMArts Performing Arts Residency
What would you dream up if you had access to a 5,580 square foot space (including 1,470 square foot stage), a weekend and production support? SOMArts wants to know!
Given the success of SOMArts’ incubator for visual art curators, SOMArts is launching a new residency program for emerging curators of performing arts. Prioritizing queer work and underrepresented artists, the program will provide mentorship and support to emerging curators to produce a weekend-long festival of performing arts.
Selected through an open call, one performing arts curatorial resident will benefit from 3 months of planning and mentorship from SOMArts staff and other leaders in Bay Area performing arts curation. Residency recipient will determine a curatorial theme, select artists, and produce a weekend-long festival at SOMArts scheduled for May 4–6, 2018.
– Production space in SOMArts’ Bay Gallery, with opportunities to stage site-specific performances throughout SOMArts’ post-industrial space;
– Technical and event production support;
– Community engagement and public relations support and mentorship;
– Mentorship with an established Bay Area performing arts curator;
– Networking opportunities with other leaders in the Bay Area performing arts landscape;
– A $2000 project grant and artist fees budget