SOMArts Director of Communications & Strategy
Reports to: Maria Jenson, Executive Director
Supervises: Community Engagement Manager, Communications Intern, Volunteers
Position Overview: SOMArts seeks a creative and strategic thinker to build the public profile of SOMArts and the diverse artists we serve by developing internal and external communications strategies designed to raise awareness of SOMArts, facilitate innovative community engagement, and engage diverse communities in SOMArts programs. For the past 40 years, SOMArts has fostered access to the arts for collective liberation. The Director of Communications & Strategy plays an integral role in communicating SOMArts’ mission and vision, innovating creative engagement strategies to advance SOMArts’ role in the Bay Area arts ecosystem.
- Working collaboratively with key staff, develop and coordinate ongoing local and national publicity efforts
- Launch media preview events in conjunction with SOMArts’ events and exhibitions
- Cultivate media relationships and work with Executive Director and program directors to pitch feature stories, reviews, and other media coverage to mass media and target markets
- Coordinate the ongoing assessment and evolution of organizational marketing and communications plan, crafting the narrative of SOMArts’ work in the Bay Area arts ecosystem
- Oversee the development, production and distribution of marketing materials
- Manage SOMArts’ online presence, including the launch of a newly designed website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Conceive and implement targeted marketing and program outreach, building partnerships to amplify the reach of SOMArts’ brand
- Participate actively in the planning of SOMArts events to ensure alignment between programming and community engagement strategies
- Working collaboratively with key staff, take leadership role in the development and implementation of fundraising events and innovative community engagement strategies
- Supervise Community Engagement Manager to ensure positive participant experience, effective volunteer management, audience engagement and consistency of messaging
Fundraising & Development:
- Lead the team of staff members working together to research and cultivate grant prospects, draft and edit proposal narratives, and manage appropriate follow-up and reporting activities
- Work collaboratively with key staff members to develop individual donor cultivation and corporate sponsorship strategies in line with SOMArts’ mission and core values
- Minimum of 3–5 years experience working in a professional marketing and public relations environment
- Proven ability to develop strategic communications, tailoring written materials for their intended audience
- Experience shaping compelling narrative based on organizational core values
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to interact respectfully and professionally with diverse staff and community members and adapt to varied communication styles
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to complete tasks thoroughly and efficiently
- Available to work a flexible schedule that includes some evening and weekend hours
- Willing to actively promote and work alongside of contemporary works of art and performances that present challenging and provocative subject matter
- Commitment to advancing equity in the arts and a strong understanding of social justice issues that are central to much of the artwork presented at SOMArts
- Familiarity with San Francisco arts and culture landscape
- Basic knowledge of HTML, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, and Salesforce
- Successful fundraising track record, including grant-writing, fundraising events, and individual and corporate donor cultivation
- Receive, process, and maintain information through oral and written communications effectively
- Substantial physical movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Ability to extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction with good eye and hand coordination
- Lift, move, and carry up to 20 pounds on occasion
Send a cover letter, resume, and work samples* to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply: Monday, June 4
*Please submit 1-3 work samples including at least one press release or similar writing sample. Examples of online content or fundraising appeals are encouraged. Please submit your work samples as URLs or pdfs. Applications without work samples will not be reviewed.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm.
We wish you the best of luck in your job search!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SOMArts fosters a creative and professional environment that reflects the diversity of San Francisco. We actively recruit a wide pool of applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.
Organizational Overview: SOMArts leverages the power of art as a tool for social change through multi-disciplinary events and exhibitions. Equipping artists with the space, mentorship and support they need to shift perspectives and innovate solutions, SOMArts fosters access to arts and culture for collective liberation and self-determination.
SOMArts is beloved in San Francisco as a cross-cultural, community-built space where cutting-edge events and counterculture commingle with traditional art forms in a way that is open, engaging and inspiring.