Volunteering is a great way to make a difference and get to know the SOMArts community. We have been fortunate to receive a growing number of volunteer inquiries and are working diligently to properly respect and utilize your skills and make the most of your time for the benefit of SOMArts’ mission.
In the past year, SOMArts volunteers contributed over 2,000 hours helping with: gardening projects, exhibition installation, database entry, events hospitality, box office, photo & video documentation, Day of the Dead tours, cleaning and painting, and more. To put it simply, we need you!
Upcoming & Current Volunteer Opportunities at SOMArts:
- The News Queer Performance Series: On the first Tuesday of every month, SOMArts hosts The News, curated by Kolmel W Love. Volunteers are needed to sell refreshments and greet audience members as they arrive.
- Main Gallery Exhibition Events: In conjunction with SOMArts’ rotating exhibitions, we host receptions, panel discussions, performances, and other events. Volunteers are needed to sell refreshments, greet attendees and distribute audience surveys. Sign up to receive periodic emails with updated volunteer opportunities!
- Annual Events: SOMArts’ annual Day of the Dead and Night Light Multimedia Garden Party events feature over one hundred visual and performing artists and engage hundreds of community members each year. Volunteers are needed to greet audience members, lead docent tours, and sell refreshments. See below for Day of the Dead specific volunteer opportunities.
- SOMArts Garden Maintenance: Every Saturday from 12:00 – 5:00 pm, SOMArts’ renowned gardener and Day of the Dead curator Rene Yañez works with volunteers to maintain our unique and artful community garden.
- Reception Desk Monitoring: Help us welcome community members to SOMArts’ Main Gallery and special events! Volunteers are needed for general administrative support and to work the front desk during regular business hours. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about this opportunity.
Saturday, October 1–Thursday, October 6
10am – 10pm, anytime
Volunteers needed to assist artists in the creation of their altars and installations. Tasks could include painting, hanging work, trips to the store and more. Dress for work. Tools are provided. Numerous volunteers are needed!
Friday, October 7, 2016
Volunteers needed 5:00–10pm, various shifts
Join us for a moving evening of live music, poetry and performance and the unveiling of the exhibition. Rock and reggae by Manicato, comedy and spoken work by Baruch Porras-Hernandez and more! Volunteers are needed to assist with a variety of tasks, including box office, bartending, and general event staffing.
School Tour Docents
Tuesday, October 18–Friday, November 4
Help us connect with local students around the themes and artwork on display for Día de los Muertos. Volunteer docents will lead groups of up to 10 students through the exhibition and an art project. Docents receive training before working with students. Numerous volunteers needed.
Drawing Circle Event Assistants
Friday, October 21
3 volunteers needed to help at the bar and box office to assist in this fun Day of the Dead drawing event.
Closing Reception Event Assistants
Saturday, November 5
5:00–9:30pm, various shifts
The closing reception for Day of the Dead is a big celebration and the last chance for the public to experience the altars. We are looking for 12 volunteers to help at the bar, the box office and as general event assistants.
Please email Deb or call 415-863-1414, x111 to sign up for any of these Day of the Dead volunteer opportunities or to request more information. We look forward to hearing from you!
Complete our Volunteer Inquiry Form below to learn more about these exciting opportunities to become part of the SOMArts team!
Volunteer Inquiry Form