October 31st 2018
Photography Internship Opportunity Winter / Spring Season
SOMARTS PHOTOGRAPHY INTERNSHIP
Do you want to develop your photography portfolio while documenting large scale group art exhibitions, boundary-pushing performances, and arts lovers interacting with the work of more than 1,000 artists who exhibit annually at one of San Francisco’s most vibrant creative hubs? SOMArts is looking for a creative and passionate Photography Intern to capture the experience of all audience members engaged with our groundbreaking, multicultural programs and events.
OBJECTIVE & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Photography Intern will document SOMArts exhibitions, events and artwork, producing high quality content to support the marketing and communications work of the organization. In addition, the Photography Intern will collaborate with SOMArts’ staff and communications intern to help create unique content to be shared across SOMArts’ online platforms.
- Must provide their own camera.
- 1-2 year minimum experience with event photography and/or creative documentation
- Ability to shoot and edit photographs with a quick turnaround
- Photo editing skills; Adobe CC and/or Adobe Lightroom
- Respectful and professional attitude; receptive to feedback
- Willingness to approach artists or the public to sign a media release
- Genuine interest in contemporary art and Bay Area arts communities
EXPECTATIONS & TIME REQUIREMENTS
- All internships are unpaid. This is not a photography training internship, but rather an opportunity for interns to exhibit and develop their photo-documentation skills.
- This internship offers a flexible schedule. Interns will be expected to document a minimum of 4 events and exhibitions during the entire period of the internship. Majority of events occur during evenings and weekends. In addition, a minimum three-month commitment of 3 hours per week in the office for Intern-Supervisor meetings and project check in are required.
- Network with other artists, curators and community members of SOMArts while building a striking body of work.
- Complimentary access to ticketed events and performances.
- Photos will be used with credit on SOMArts’ website and social media accounts, and may also be sent to press or included in graphic designs for web or print.
- On-site access to photo editing software, such as Adobe Lightroom and Adobe CC.
- Opportunity to have a two-week exhibition in The Ramp Gallery, a community curated space for two-dimensional and video artwork.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply online with our Photo Internship Application Form. If you’ve got any questions about the internship, please feel free to contact Dominic Cheng via email at email@example.com
SOMArts leverages the power of art as a tool for social change through multi-disciplinary events and exhibitions. Equipping artists with the space, mentorship and support they need to shift perspectives and innovate solutions, SOMArts fosters access to arts and culture for collective liberation and self-determination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SOMArts fosters a creative and professional environment that reflects the diversity of San Francisco. We actively recruit a wide pool of applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national orientation, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation gender or political affiliation.