SOMArts Cultural Center embraces the entire spectrum of arts practice and cultural identity. It is a multicultural, community-built space where cutting-edge events and counterculture commingle with traditional art forms. The Design & Communications Intern will work with the Director of Communications & Community Engagement to create web graphics and promotional materials related to SOMArts’ many events, classes and exhibitions.
Assigned projects may include: photo editing and layout of SOMArts’ weekly e-newsletter, development of photo-illustrations and other graphics for online avatars, banners and invitations. In addition, the Design & Communications Intern will help develop and update print materials such as flyers, education materials and postcards. The intern can expect to work independently and in a team to learn how to apply creative concepts in a non-profit setting and how to use a project management systems such as Basecamp to organize work flow.
• Demonstrable experience in designing graphics for both web and print
• Proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, and HTML
• Strong photo editing and illustration skills
• Must have understanding of design fundamentals such as layout, typography, hierarchy, color, scale, etc.
• A wholehearted, enthusiastic, genuine passion for design, the web, web technologies
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to work in a self-directed manner
• Organization skills, follow-through and attention to detail (including spelling)
• Bonus skills: video editing, flash & motion graphics
Three-month commitment of 10 hrs per week beginning in September (start date negotiable); day-to-day schedule may vary.
Please send your letter, resume with contact information for two references and 3-5 work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Design & Communications Intern”. For full consideration, please apply by September 16, 2011.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SOMArts fosters a creative and professional environment that reflects the diversity of San Francisco. We actively recruit a wide pool of applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.