June 13th 2019
Call for Proposals: 4WAVES: 40 Performances for the Hole
SOMArts and Justin Hoover/Collective Action Studio (CAS) are excited to co-present a new iteration of 100 Performance for the Hole: marathon of artistic moments. In honor of the 40th anniversary of SOMArts Cultural Center, CAS is producing an abbreviated version titled 4WAVES: 40 Performances for the Hole on Wednesday, September 11th, 2019 from 5:58-10:00 pm. The Bay has experienced three “waves” of performance art since the 1960’s and now we are in the midst of a fourth. This festival takes place in, about, around, against and in relation to a refurbished mechanics pit in the floor of SOMArts Cultural Center.
4WAVES: 40 Performances for the Hole is a fast and furious space for experimental performance. Each performer is allotted no more than 4 minutes to set up, perform, and break down.
- Proposals can be about, around, in reference to or against the hole, and not limited to performances in the hole itself.
- Performers CANNOT hurt themselves or others
- Each performer has four minutes maximum in the hole
- SOMArts has a strict NO fire, NO glitter, NO glass, NO bodily fluids and NO smoke machines policy
- Performers must be able to clean up whatever mess they make within their allotted time and leave the hole as they found it
- Any special needs or technical requests must be made in advance through the application link below
- There is NO rehearsal
Proposals can be about, around, in reference to or against The Hole, and not limited to performances in The Hole itself. The Hole is not wheelchair accessible and may be difficult for those with mobility needs.
The outer dimensions of The Hole are 94.5 inches width x 76.5 inches length with a 3-inch step. The inner dimensions are 70.5 inches width x 58.5 inches length x 32.5 inches depth.