June 4th 2019
Job Opportunity: Building Manager
Job Title: Building Manager
Reports to: Director of Facilities and Technical Operations, Master Technician
Hours and Location: Variable, based on institutional and production needs. SOMArts Cultural Center is located at 934 Brannan St. in San Francisco.
SOMArts Cultural Center seeks a trustworthy, dependable and personable Building Manager to ensure the safety and security of SOMArts’ facility during rental events, public events, and gallery hours, and to greet and orient visitors as they arrive. This part-time role works closely with facilities and technical staff to ensure that all events are executed safely and SOMArts’ diverse visitors and clients have a positive experience.
The Building Manager is supervised by the Facilities and Technical Operations administration. Availability to work nights and weekends is required.
Building Maintenance & Security (50%)
- Monitor all facility spaces indoors and outdoors, including walkthroughs when not assisting a client.
- Monitor and record attendance of classes, exhibitions and events. Complete building manager report at the end of each shift.
- Comply with safety procedures and work rules and bring any unsafe conditions to the attention of Facilities and Technical Operations administration.
- Report maintenance and repair issues to Facilities and Technical Operations administration.
- Follow proper opening and closing procedures and when closing ensure that all offices, storage areas, exterior gates and doors are locked and that the building’s alarm is set.
- Report incidents as they occur following SOMArts incident reporting protocol.
- Address misuse of space if they occur (e.g. violation of SOMArts regulations, culturally insensitive behavior).
- Follow proper emergency protocol. In the event of an emergency observe and enforce protocol towards ensuring the safety of others on-site.
- Ensure safety of guests, using appropriate crowd-control techniques as necessary.
- Interface with challenging guests and visitors, de-escalating as necessary.
- Interface with law enforcement, emergency personnel, city personnel as needed in the event of emergency, event inspection, etc.
- Supervise and instruct event security based on guidelines provided by Facilities and Technical Operations administration.
Event Assistance & Hospitality (50%)
- Provide excellent customer service to SOMArts’ diverse community members, fostering a culture of respect and inclusion at all SOMArts events.
- When staffing the front desk, contribute to a welcoming environment by attentively greeting visitors and answering questions.
- Assist in the success of SOMArts’ events and events hosted in our space by rental clients by:
– Directing inquiries to the appropriate SOMArts staff member.
-Supporting the use of SOMArts’ equipment, electrical needs and technical requirements, and access to doors and rooms.
-Assisting with rental clients’ load in, install and load out in accordance with the guidelines of their contract, making the contract available to clients as a reference.
- Basic supervision and usage of A/V systems.
- Basic supervision of electrical safety.
- Supervise janitorial staff and contractors during events and assist when needed.
- If need arises clean and restock restrooms and attend to functionality issues during normal business hours.
- In absence of dedicated janitorial staff empty trash, recycling and compost bins into the appropriate dumpster and replace bin liners.
- Prep spaces for event/client load in: clear kitchen surfaces, clear fridge, arrange pipe and drape, put out or strike chairs.
- Coordinate rental client check-out of loaned items including tools, electrical equipment, tables, chairs, carts, ladders, soft goods, etc.
- Record all loaned items as appropriate and check them in at the end of each event. Report missing items to the client and to Facilities and Technical Operations administration.
Compensation: Nonexempt. $22 per hour. Rates are subject to change at the beginning of FY20
- Frequently required to stand, walk, and sit.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
- Must be able to lift, move and carry up to 50lbs.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please send your cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please no phone calls.
SOMArts also has Lighting and A/V positions available, applicants with multiple skill-sets are encouraged to apply.
Organizational Overview: SOMArts plays a vital role in the arts ecosystem by helping activate the arts citywide. We do this by providing space and production support for non-profit events, as well as fairs and festivals throughout the Bay Area, and offering a robust program of art exhibitions, classes, events and performances that are affordable and accessible to all.
SOMArts is beloved in San Francisco as a cross-cultural, community-built space where cutting-edge events and counterculture commingle with traditional art forms in a way that is open, engaging and inspiring. It is an incubator for ideas that lie outside the mainstream of contemporary art funding and consumption.
The South of Market Cultural Center is a 26,190 sq ft cultural center with two large performance/exhibition spaces, a flexible theater, a media lab, photography, ceramics and printmaking studios used on a weekly basis by professional artists, and four administrative offices.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SOMArts fosters a creative and professional environment that reflects the diversity of San Francisco. We actively recruit a wide pool of applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.