April 1st 2019
Job Opportunity: Curatorial Partnerships Associate
Job Title: Curatorial Partnerships Associate
Reports to: Curatorial Partnerships & Residency Director
Pay Rate: $18/hour
Hours and Location: 10 hours per week, 2 days per week. Exact schedule is flexible, some late nights and weekends are required. Minimum six-month commitment. SOMArts Cultural Center is located at 934 Brannan St. in San Francisco.
SOMArts Cultural Center seeks an organized, detailed and personable Curatorial Partnerships Associate to assist the Center’s exhibition procedures by providing administrative, event and installation support. The Curatorial Partnerships Associate provides support for the production of SOMArts’ multidisciplinary exhibitions and events, assuming a hands-on role in organizing some of the Bay Area’s most innovative creative programs.
This position will be a key member of our production team and will be the first person to greet the Main Gallery’s guests. This position is ideal for students or entry-level arts administrators.
The Curatorial Partnerships Associate works closely with SOMArts’ Curatorial Partnerships & Residency Director.
JOB DUTIES BY FUNCTION
- Greet guests as they arrive and answer any questions regarding the current exhibition. Keep Artist Info Packets stocked in the lobby desk
- Answer incoming phone calls and direct inquiries to the appropriate SOMArts staff members
The Ramp Gallery
- Lead outreach and coordination for monthly exhibitions.
- Assist in installation of monthly shows in The Ramp Gallery, coordinating with local artists and art collectives
- Coordinate artist loan agreement and installation/deinstallation schedules
- Collect artist information to create a blog post on our website and print material for every exhibition
- Turn on the exhibition on working days
- Data entry and database management, including Salesforce
- Coordinate artist loan agreements and installation schedules
- Provide general assistance during events
- Provide general assistance during exhibition installation and deinstallation, specifically drafting the exhibition print materials and artwork labels
- Provide administrative support as needed, such as exhibition research, scheduling and artist coordination
- Assist in collecting and organizing artist information to aid in publicizing exhibitions and events
- A commitment to the arts and culture
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, goal-oriented with ability to work independently with close attention to detail
- PC and Mac platform computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Word and Google docs
- Knowledge of InDesign a plus but not required
- Professional development & leadership cultivation opportunities
- A supportive, team-based environment with mission driven, passionate professionals
- An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
- Required to stand, walk, and sit.
- Providing general installation/deinstallation assistance requires ability to lift at least 15 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
Please send your cover letter and resume along with contact information for two professional references to: [email protected] Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please no phone calls.
Organizational Overview: SOMArts plays a vital role in the arts ecosystem by helping activate the arts citywide. We do this by providing space and production support for non-profit events, as well as fairs and festivals throughout the Bay Area, and offering a robust program of art exhibitions, classes, events and performances that are affordable and accessible to all.
SOMArts is beloved in San Francisco as a cross-cultural, community-built space where cutting-edge events and counterculture commingle with traditional art forms in a way that is open, engaging and inspiring. It is an incubator for ideas that lie outside the mainstream of contemporary art funding and consumption.
The South of Market Cultural Center is a cultural center with two large performance/exhibition spaces, a flexible theater, a media lab, photography, ceramics and printmaking studios used on a weekly basis by professional artists, and four administrative offices.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SOMArts fosters a creative and professional environment that reflects the diversity of San Francisco. We actively recruit a wide pool of applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.