November 12th 2019
Job Opportunity: Stagehand
Job Title: Scene Technician, Stagehand
Reports to: Director of Facilities and Technical Operations, Associate Director of Technical Operations
Hours and Location: Variable, based on institutional and production needs. SOMArts Cultural Center is located at 934 Brannan St. in San Francisco.
Under supervision of the Director of Technical Operations and Associate Director of Technical Operations, Scenic Technicians at SOMArts Cultural Center assist in implementing technical elements and general staging required by rental events and internal programming.
We seek a trustworthy, dependable and personable Stagehand to ensure accurate and safe execution of various event installation and deinstallation tasks such as: basic gallery wall restoration including patching and painting, theatrical flat installation, stage riser assembly, table and chair placement, and other tasks as needed.
Scene Technicians are supervised by SOMArts Facilities and Technical Operations administration. Availability to work nights and weekends is required.
- Assisting clients, performers, and artists as needed.
- As event space is highly configurable, performing general on and off stage duties as needed such as scenic staging, basic riser staging, general event set up, event restore, cosmetic restore of gallery walls, and strike.
- Maintaining storage areas in a clean and organized manner.
- Practicing and enforcing safe working habits and immediately reporting unsafe situations and conditions to supervisors. Proactively working to prevent accidents and manage risk levels in work areas.
- Interacting with clients, performers, artists, supervisors, and peers in a courteous and professional manner. Utilizing best communication practices to collaboratively solve problems and clarify instructions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to patch, paint and perform basic gallery wall restoration
- Basic knowledge of carpentry and tool usage fundamentals
- Demonstrable knowledge of stage & venue electrical safety and best practices
- Minimum of 2-3 years experience working in a fast-paced event production or stage environment
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to respond to work requests in a timely manner
- Positive attitude and good interpersonal skills, with the ability to handle conflicts respectfully and professionally
- A developed eye for detail and ability to complete tasks thoroughly and efficiently
- Willingness to work alongside contemporary works of art and performances that present challenging and provocative subject matter
- Ability to work under pressure of deadlines in a fast-based production environment under performance conditions
- Ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing situations and priorities in a calm and professional manner
- Basic knowledge of stage rigging
- Aerial lift operation
- Frequently required to stand, walk, and sit
- Occasionally required to work at heights of up to 12’, must be comfortable working at elevated heights on ladders
- Ability to lift, move, and manage items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to talk or hear
Compensation: Nonexempt. $24/hour
Organizational Overview: SOMArts plays a vital role in the arts ecosystem by helping activate the arts citywide. We do this by providing space and production support for non-profit events, as well as fairs and festivals throughout the Bay Area, and offering a robust program of art exhibitions, classes, events and performances that are affordable and accessible to all.
SOMArts is beloved in San Francisco as a cross-cultural, community-built space where cutting-edge events and counterculture commingle with traditional art forms in a way that is open, engaging and inspiring. It is an incubator for ideas that lie outside the mainstream of contemporary art funding and consumption.
The South of Market Cultural Center is a 26,190 sq ft cultural center with two large performance/exhibition spaces, a flexible theater, a media lab, photography, ceramics and printmaking studios used on a weekly basis by professional artists, and four administrative offices.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected], Attn: Director of Facilities and Technical Operations. Subject: [YOUR LAST NAME], Stagehand. Position open until filled.
Please, no phone calls or faxes. Due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm.
We wish you the best of luck in your job search!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SOMArts fosters a creative and professional environment that reflects the diversity of San Francisco. We actively recruit a wide pool of applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.