December 9th 2019
Call for Proposals: Avant-Drag and Radical Queer Performance Festival
SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSAL BY FRIDAY, JANUARY 17, 5PM PST
Toxic Waste Face and SOMArts Cultural Center invite your proposals for participation in a
weekend-long queer performance art festival (in May 2020) showcasing the Bay Area’s most visionary talent. Whether your background is in drag, dance, or any other performative genre, we encourage your submissions of new work that in some way relates to a queer experience.
In uncertain times, we must become the shepherds of our own narrative and the trailblazers of our collective future, and in this spirit, Toxic Waste Face seeks to amplify both new and seasoned artistic voices alike toward the elevation, diversification, and proliferation of queer performance in the Bay Area. Made possible by a generous Artists in Communities grant from the California Art Council, this two-night festival will take place on SOMArt’s fully-equipped theatre stage and each selected artist will receive a stipend for their work.
Please consider the following:
● Proposals must be for new works
● Applicants and collaborators (if any) must be 18+
● You are welcome to apply as an individual or as a small group, however each artist
stipend is a flat fee per performance regardless of cast size
● There is no overarching theme so feel liberated to consider work that is funny, sad, transgressive, contemplative, or conveys any other emotion or tonality; priority will be given to work that offers a fresh perspective
● The festival will be supported by a professional A/V team and multi-media work is encouraged
● The length of each performance is flexible, however we can only accommodate
time-based work (rather than long-form, durational performance)
● This opportunity is for anyone within the LGBTQIA+ community, however priority will be given to performers currently residing within the Bay Area; out of town performers would be responsible for their own travel and accommodations
● Per SOMArt’s lease with a city-owned building, we unfortunately cannot permit fire, loose glitter, bodily fluids, or smoke
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your proposal here
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Deadline to submit proposals is Friday, January 17, 5pm PST
Completing this form with as much information as possible and up to five current work samples will give curators Toxic Waste Face (Jader, Pseuda, & Scam Likely) the most holistic understanding of your proposal. Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis and must be submitted by Friday, January 17 by 5 pm. Please apply early in case of questions or technical difficulties. We will inform you of the status of your proposal no later than Friday, February 14.
We realize that your concept may evolve, but please answer to the best of your ability. If you have questions about this form or the festival in general, contact the curators at
Festival: Friday, May 22 & Saturday, May 23, 2020*
Rehearsal/Installation: Sunday, May 17–Thursday, May 21, 2020 (by appointment)
Deinstallation (if applicable): Sunday, May 24, 2020
*performances will occur once over the two-day festival