Figure drawing sessions at SOMArts have been ongoing for 15+ years, making it one of the longest-running groups of its kind in the Bay Area. Artists meet every Saturday from 10:30 am–1:30 PM in the upstairs classroom (accessible via the Brannan Street entrance on the left side of the SOMArts building facade). Sessions are moderated by experienced facilitator Ajay Deshmukh and a live model poses for each session.
The class is $10 per person and drop-ins are always welcome.
- Doors open at 10:00 AM. Enter through the glass door at 934 Brannan St. (directly to the left of the roll up door when facing the building). On the outside buzzer, press button #3 (labeled “CLASS / DOJO”) to be buzzed in. Go up the stairs, and down the long hallway to the drawing studio. Unfortunately, we do not have an accessible entrance to the drawing studio. A construction project to address this is in the works.
- Models pose in 20 minute segments with 5 minute breaks, starting with 20 one-minute poses for gesture drawing, and ending with several 20-minute longer poses.
- All media are allowed, provided that there is no odor.
- There are tables, drawing horses, stools, chairs, and cushions available for use. There are no drawing boards or easels, but you are welcome to bring your own.
- There is no instruction provided, but generally the other artists are happy to provide advice and/or comments.
- No reservations are needed, with seating on a first-come, first-served basis. If you arrive late and/or it happens to be crowded that day, we’ll find a way to squeeze you in.
- Note for models: All models are booked through the Bay Area Models Guild. If you are a member of the BAMG and are interested in modeling for SOMArts, please contact the Guild’s booking coordinator.